Translate

Wednesday 19 June 2013

Minute Details That Matter


Imagine the chagrin and utter incense of my young heart as I faced this woman who told me blankly that I was just a number to her.  I had just come back to the campus having represented the government institution at an international conference.  When I got back I was greeted with a letter from my mother saying that she was not well.  Those were not the days of cells phones, and we didn’t have a regular landline phone at home, so I couldn’t call her up and find out how she was doing.  I needed to go home.  The facility was on a campus-wide lockdown, due to some disciplinary issues, I had to seek special permission to be allowed to go home.  I took the letter, went in to see the lady in charge, and presented my case.  She was however not to be persuaded and to my intensified plea, she informed me that to her I was just a number.  With that I promptly left her office, packed my bags and went to see my mother.  I didn’t care whether or not I finished the programme then.  Thank God however, I did. 

As I reflect on King Ahasuerus' nonchalant engagement in this affair of Haman trying to exterminate the Jews, I find it so unfortunate that the more things change, the more they remain the same.  Too often do people today still hide fail on the basis of being too busy, or too “important” to be bothered with certain minute details that directly affect people’s lives. What a privilege to know that I (we) am one minute detail that matters in a big way to the God of Heaven.


http://www.flickr.com/photos/nicmcphee/421593627/in/photostream/
Some quick reassurances jump out at me as I read this chapter and anticipate the rest of the story:
1. "Greater is He that is in you, than he that is in the world." 1 John 4: 4
2. In the spirit of Psalm 127: 1 I'd say, "Unless it is the Lord's seal that is affixed to a decree, it's not worth the worry" (adapted).
3. "When the enemy shall come in like a flood, the Spirit of the Lord shall lift up a standard against him." Isa 59: 19.
4. "And fear not them which kill the body, but are not able to kill the soul: but rather fear him which is able to destroy both soul and body in hell." Matt. 10:28.
Note:
Mordecai had a religious basis for refusing to show obeisance to Haman, and that provoked Haman's anger. It is significant to note that this brought attention to the Jewish faith. So although they lived in a secular world, they stood out and behaved differently. It is our expectation that history will repeat itself. Hence, the above assurances should keep our minds focused - not on the looming threats, but on the One who stands with us, "For our God, whom we serve is well able to deliver us." Dan. 3: 17 (adapted).
Join me in singing this old favourite, "He's able, He's able, I know He's able, I know my God is able to carry me through...." Peace all.

This reading is based on Esther 3.  To read and/or listen to Esther 3 and read other related blogs, please go here.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment