Translate

Monday 17 February 2014

Of Nourishment, Comfort and Pleasure: Breasts and the Bible

This reading is based on Songs of Solomon 1 that is read in accordance with the Revived by His Word initiative of the General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists.

Let's Talk Sex
It is most unfortunate that the sex act has been so misused and abused that what God had intended to be the most beautiful experience between a male husband and female wife has become a largely tabooed subject. It has become a tool of abuse of the innocent and vulnerable, and a weapon of rebellion against God. It's misuse has targeted the integrity and sanctity of marriage. There is likely no other act on earth that so closely brings the human being into experiencing the thrill and joy of creation that our Creator must have experienced when in the beginning He made us. The process of procreation is arguably the most beautiful experience that a male husband and female wife can share. Yet it is perhaps the very thing that makes it so beautiful (the authentically intense feeling of love and devotion; the high) that makes is so easy for the devil to use it to manipulate and wrench us away from God's ideal.

Breasts!
In approaching Songs of Solomon for me all discussions and allusions are understood within the context of the biblical model of marriage and in the natural mother/child relationship. With that said, may I share my thoughts on a subject raised in verse 13 - breasts!

Breasts and the Bible
The PG nature of this forum would not allow me to be much more graphic than to simply state that the breasts are a source of NOURISHMENT, COMFORT, and PLEASURE. Nourishment and comfort as I would have in my formative years received from my mother; comfort and pleasure as I receive from my wife. Incidentally, in a real way, the same can be safely said of the Bible with its Old and New Testaments.

Source of Nourishment
As nourishment we see where Jesus Who is the Word, is also the Bread of Life (John 1: 1-3, 14; 6: 35). Peter in 1 Peter 2: 2 tells us, "As newborn babes, desire the sincere MILK OF THE WORD, that ye may grow thereby:"

Source of Comfort
As a source of comfort we see where Paul, though referring in primary context to the subject he was dealing with, but in a secondary manner also spoke of Scripture in general said, "Wherefore COMFORT one another with these words." 1 Thess. 4: 18. All Bible promises are a source of comfort.

Source of Pleasure
As a source of pleasure, we see where Psalmist uttered the words, "I DELIGHT to do Thy will, O my God; yea Thy law is within my heart." Ps. 40: 8. Before that the Psalmist spoke in Psalm 16: 11, "Thou wilt shew me the path of life: in thy presence is FULLNESS OF JOY; at thy right hand there are PLEASURES for evermore." God shows us the path of life through His Word (living and written).

Prayer
I pray that what my mother's breasts did for me, and what my wife's breasts do for me now, is what the Bible will do for me and so much more. I also pray that in your own contexts you will fully experience the nourishment, comfort and pleasure of the two Testaments of the Bible, amen.

To read and/or listen to Songs of Solomon 1 and to read other related blogs, please click here.

Image credit: click here.

No comments:

Post a Comment