Translate

Friday 5 April 2013

Waking Up, A Cow's Tail, and LIFE



After our prayers before retiring last night my wife woke me up shortly after I fell asleep, saying that she was scared of me dying; I was breathing heavily she said. I was not aware of it, but I decided nevertheless to whisper another prayer of commitment in my heart before going off again. Imagine my relief when I woke up this morning and discovered, "I was ALIVE!" Somehow the value of things we're often inclined to take for granted is usually accentuated whenever it is lost, or there is a formidable threat of its being lost.  Today I’m especially grateful for LIFE.

 

There is a saying I grew up hearing, "A cow never notices the use of its tail until it loses it." Ever noticed how consistently and instinctively a cow swings its tail; seemingly to drive away the flies that are always pestering?  If flies had uninterrupted access to cows, I suspect that the average health of these cows would be substantially lower.




Israel had lost the Ark and they felt the terrible effect of that loss – the constant pestering of the Devil through his appointed agencies. So it was a great relief when it was finally reinstated to its proper place - a relief that I can certainly relate to especially this morning. The praise among the Israelites would doubtlessly have been spontaneous.

We must in our periodic trips to Calvary see ourselves hanging on the cross; facing the grim prospect of eternal separation from the Source of life. And once we understand the value of what Christ has done for us, we will with new meaning sing songs like, The Old Rugged Cross, I Believe in a Hill Called Mount Calvary, When I Survey the Wondrous Cross, and The Old Rugged Cross Made a Difference.

 

Today I praise God, not only for waking me up this morning, but for eternal life through Christ Jesus.

This is based on 1 Chronicles 16.  To listen to or read 1 Chronicles 16 click here.

No comments:

Post a Comment