Translate

Sunday 16 June 2013

Music: Not an Optional Menu Item


As I have come to see it, music is not an optional side order on the menu of worship; it is a part of the main course. In fact on any given day it is the "Special" on offer - no pun intended. At significant turns on the human journey the occasions are usually marked by music:
CREATION
"4 Where wast thou when I laid the foundations of the earth? declare, if thou hast understanding.       
5 Who hath laid the measures thereof, if thou knowest? or who hath stretched the line upon it?
6 Whereupon are the foundations thereof fastened? or who laid the corner stone thereof;
7 When the morning stars SANG together, and all the sons of God shouted for joy?" Job 38: 4-7
THE RED SEA
"1 Then sang Moses and the children of Israel this song unto the Lord, and spake, saying, I will sing unto the Lord, for he hath triumphed gloriously: the horse and his rider hath he thrown into the sea.
20 And Miriam the prophetess, the sister of Aaron, took a timbrel in her hand; and all the women went out after her with timbrels and with dances." Ex 15: 1, 20

THE BIRTH OF JESUS
"13 And suddenly there was with the angel a multitude of the heavenly host praising God, and saying,
14 Glory to God in the highest, and on earth peace, good will toward men." Luke 2: 13, 14
THE CELEBRATION OF THE REDEEMED IN HEAVEN
"And they sing the song of Moses the servant of God, and the song of the Lamb, saying, Great and marvellous are thy works, Lord God Almighty; just and true are thy ways, thou King of saints." Rev. 15: 3.
MY PERSONAL JOURNEY
At my birth, I believe I sang my first song. To the casual listener it may have sounded like crying - but that was just the reassuring announcement that I was here (alive and well), and it would have been "music" to my mother's ears.
At my baptism, there was music, as with a made up mind I dedicated myself to the God I had come to know partly and loved definitely.
At my wedding, there was music also, "Oh love that will not let me go...." And may I say that it is still holding me. Praise the Lord!
Our daily family worship sessions are marked with music also, as our voices blend in singing songs like, "Day by day and with each passing moment...."
I suspect that there'll be a lot of music at my funeral - if I die before the Lord returns.
And whether I die or don't die, I'll be singing on the Sea of Glass with the saints of all ages.
So with all my heart I praise God for the ministry of music and pray that all our renditions will come up to Him as sweet incense. Amen.

This reading is based on Nehemiah 12.  To read and/or listen to this chapter and read other related blogs, please click here.

1 comment: