Translate

Sunday 25 August 2013

My Unrestrained Faculties



While there may be those who don't see me as a friend and have it out for me, as I now sit, I'm not aware. What I'm aware of however is that my biggest enemy/obstacle so far has been myself; my unrestrained faculties.
"You have delivered me from the strivings of the people; You have made me the head of the nations; A people I have not known shall serve me." Ps. 18: 43
http://thebrain.mcgill.ca/flash/d/d_06/d_06_cr/d_06_cr_mou/d_06_cr_mou.html

As I read what David here writes I'm imagining dominating/ruling all my faculties and have them all satisfy my most basic desire to serve God:
·         My Heart would love God supremely
·         My Eyes would only dwell upon things that are wholesome
·         My Feet would only take me to places where I serve God and my neighbours
·         My Hands would only be lifted in praise to God or to bear up a falling brother or sister
·         My Mouth would only utter kind words of truth
·         My Ears would listen only to the voice of God as He speaks through a bird, a rippling brook, or a fellow human servant of His
So let's say that in addition to myself I do have other known enemies. The point is still the same; I'm only as vulnerable to my enemies as I lack control of my faculties. If I abide under the shadow of God's law, and my faculties do only His biddings, I'm always protected, "He is a shield to all who trust in Him (willingly do His bidding)." Ps 18: 30.
The abuse or misuse of these faculties is more threatening to my well-being than any plot an enemy would set for me; I am my worst enemy. "O wretched man that I am; who will deliver me from the body of this death?" Rom. 7: 24. But thank God Paul found the answer to this crisis of no mean order, "I thank God through Jesus Christ our Lord. So then with the mind I myself serve the law of God." Rom. 7: 25.

This reading is based on Psalm 18.  To read and/or listen to Psalm 18, and read other related blogs please click here.

No comments:

Post a Comment