Translate

Tuesday 16 October 2012

What would you do if you caught him in the act?


THERE is a well known Bible story about a woman who was taken to Jesus because she was caught 'in the very act'. Many persons wanted to put the woman to death and that was acceptable at the time. In fact, it was the order of the day to stone such a person to death. Fortunately or unfortunately for us, we are far removed from such practices. However, since we no longer abide by such rules, have you ever considered what you would do if the worst should happen and you caught your significant other 'in the very act?'
It is not my intention to disturb your peace of mind or anything of the sort, but ask any psychologist and he/she will tell you that it is quite in order to think about a bad situation and make a sensible plan of action about what you would do -- God forbid, in the event the worst should happen.
While it is not advisable to dwell on the negatives, one must never be afraid to use brief moments to think on negative situations, such as the loss of a job, the death of a loved one, unpleasant surprises, or, like I said earlier, what you would do should your hubby be caught 'in the very act'.
I conducted an informal survey on the matter. Here are three of the interesting responses that I got.
* 40-year-old businesswoman: I would be disappointed but not devastated. I pray to God it doesn't happen because that would be very serious business. Since no one is perfect though, I think I would have to get to the point where I would have to forgive. I would have to do that because as a couple we have made a pledge that nothing will cause us to separate from each other.
* 55-year-old schoolteacher: I know that I would throw something at him; anything I could find to throw I would throw. Even if I kill him, after he is dead, I would still be thumping him. I am glad that I have never ever had any inkling that he would do such a thing. Really though, I am glad that you asked because maybe I would have to think twice, otherwise I could end up in prison.
* 57-year-old deacon: I cannot even deal with the thought of it, but I would have to forgive my wife. I would have to do that, try to forgive. I have planned already that should it happen, that is what I would do. Honestly though, at the moment, I do not know how I would really react at the time but in the end there would have to be some kind of understanding and hopefully forgiveness. It would be very painful and it would be hard to live with after that.
Whatever you do, try to mull over the concept and make your plan of action regarding your steps should the worst happen. It may not be that you caught him/her in the act and I hope it doesn't happen, but it could be something else. Maybe your life or even the life of another could be spared because you set the time aside to think on these things.



Jacqueline Champier is a lecturer and counselling psychologist from Mandeville.

No comments:

Post a Comment