Translate

Wednesday 4 September 2013

I Love Straight Talkers



"Who speak peace to their neighbors, but evil is in their hearts." Ps 28: 3

I'd like to put a slight twist to the application of this text to suggest that sometimes this evil hides not so much in the heart of individuals, but is inherent in their actions. Hence, while they are speaking or acting in "love," they are but working to the sure ruin of the one being related to.

In my experience I've found it far more comforting and profitable to interact with persons who not have striven to be so politically correct as they have been keen to provide honest feedback to me. They don't just try to spear my feelings in saying, "good job," but they tell me where I've failed to meet expectations. In other words, they tell me how I can improve. Mind you, I'm not here advocating harshness and insensitivity. Jesus was never crass, but always truthful; we should be too.


Parents who give their children everything they desire, because they do not wish to have them cry or feel that they are not loved, do these children a grave injustice: life does not give us all we want; God does not give us all we want. When parents do this they are simply setting up their children for a future of rude awakenings and grave disappointments.

Many years ago I wrote a poem for who was then my "dream girl." Two lines in that poem said, "My mouth will speak constructively, though sometimes it'll seem to hurt/ But I only desire what's best for you, and as such my words will spurt."

This reading is based on Psalm 28.  To read and/or listen to Psalm 28 and to read other related blogs, please click here.

No comments:

Post a Comment