Translate

Monday 2 September 2013

My Life an Essay; Christ, my Editor in Chief



In Psalm 26 David is seemingly enumerating all his "good" qualities as if to beat his chest in pride. But could he simply be expressing what he desires his life to be and is inviting God to evaluate/edit him?

Whenever I write something I always strive to do my best, but I know only too well of my infallibility; I don't always write down exactly what is in my head - some words are usually left out, sometimes appropriate punctuation is missing. What I've often had to do is explain to my supervisor/editor what I intend to say. This helps him/her to know what to look for and how therefore to analyze what I've written.

Now, because I strive to become the best writer I can be, I relish any kind of critiquing/feedback I get. One notable editor/mentor that I've had would always send me back to redo what I write. I never get daunted, I just listen carefully to what he says and strive to produce the goods. And what a relief when he nods his head in approval.


The Apostle Paul in writing to the Corinthians shares the idea of followers of Christ being epistles/essays, "Ye are our epistle written in our hearts, known and read of all men: Forasmuch as ye are manifestly declared to be the epistle of Christ ministered by us, written not with ink, but with the Spirit of the living God; not in tables of stone, but in fleshy tables of the heart." In this case Jesus Christ is Editor in Chief, and getting His nod of approval is what I/we must earnestly need. What a day it will be when Jesus, our Judge/our Editor in Chief comes and says to each of us, "Well done, good and faithful servant...!"

Father in Heaven, we recognize that we are all epistles, know and read of all men. May all that other see in us be such as would lead them to glorify You, now and always, amen.

This reading is based on Psalm 26.  To read and/or listen to Psalm 26 and to read other related blogs, please click here.

No comments:

Post a Comment