Translate

Tuesday 3 September 2013

Like an Immature Schoolgirl Standing in the Rain


There’s often a thin line between love and infatuation, for often they are found doing the same things – only with different reasons and motivations. 

I watched her and shook my head, with a slight tint of “grown-up” arrogance – for I had thankfully outgrown the folly of youthful infatuation. You see, this school girl was standing in the rain, talking to a man sitting in a car. They had been there a while (before the rain started). Her body language betrayed her emotions and desperate desire to deviate this common man’s attention from his many interests in many of her female peers. If she won, she would secure the coveted ride in his posh car. So she stayed in the rain to make that winning impression. I knew of her and her dad. I knew that if he saw her he would be livid. Then I got to thinking…. 
What if I could love God like that; being too caught up with Him to be bothered by the flood rains of enemies and troubles of every sort? What if I didn’t fear the consequences of serving God: never “qualifying” for promotion, never being accepted in certain circles, inviting the wrath of someone’s interest that is frustrated by certain decisions that I make. Or maybe it is writing a letter to a national newspaper that articulates views that go counter to a certain powerful sect of society. What if my only care in the world is to seek the face of the Lord? 

Father in Heaven, with a deep longing inside I join the Psalmist in saying, “Hear, O Lord, when I cry with my voice: have mercy also upon me, and answer me,” (Ps. 27: 7). Help me to see the enemy in the worldly ambitions, in the social pressures, the economically challenging times, and to not be so caught up in overcoming these as I’d be blinded by my all-consuming desire to be with you – with the seemingly carefree desire of an immature school girl standing in the rain. This I ask you in Jesus name, amen.

Hear Oh Lord - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EhmC_3sGgNc

This reading is based on Psalm 27. To read and/or listen to Psalm 27 and to read other related blogs, please click here.

No comments:

Post a Comment