Translate

Monday 7 October 2013

From a Higher Perspective

This reading is based on Psalm 61, read in accordance with the Revived by His Word initiative of the General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists.

"Oh, prepare mercy and truth, which may preserve him!" Ps 61: 7

I have stood on an overpass and watched the traffic go by on the freeway below at a dazzlingly scary pace. And it made me wonder at the time if that is how scarily fast I myself go whenever I travel on the freeway. Well... yes. Travelling on the freeway was always about getting around the traffic and not being pulled over by the police. But in all that I never did quite get such a sense of how scary it was until I looked at the freeway from a higher perspective. It certainly explained why accidents are so extreme whenever they occur.

Life is difficult; fraught with risks and challenges that threaten both the qualitative and quantitative dimensions of our lives. But we're often so caught up on the freeway of trying to survive and getting around people and obstacles that we miss the danger that surrounds us. But praise the Lord, every now and then we do get to see things from a higher perspective - whether it's through the death of a loved one, or through a deep honest look at ones life (as sometimes prompted by the study of God's Word). Sometimes we get to see the real dangers that we face from the failed attacks of enemies who are bent on securing our demise. David understood that very well - thanks to Saul.

I had a pretty close shave on the freeway once (when I didn't quite follow the rules, and before I had that overpass experience) - thank God He kept one lane free although the traffic had come to stop in the four other lanes. God in His MERCY saved me that fearful night. I didn't stop driving, but I became more aware and committed to following the rules. David, although innocent, was constantly attacked by Saul, but was always delivered by God. He also knew that his continued safety depended on his abiding by the safety rules ("truth") God laid down: "Oh, prepare MERCY and TRUTH, which may preserve him (David the king... us)!"

Father in Heaven, please grant us that perspective on life that would help us appreciate the value of Your mercy and truth in preserving our lives.  Thank You for Your mercy and thank You for Your truth, in Jesus name, amen.

To read and/or listen to Psalm 61 and to read other related blogs, please click here.

No comments:

Post a Comment