Translate

Friday 22 March 2013

Jesus is the Way Home – 1 Chronicles 2 (RBHW)



I grew up not knowing my father (he died when I was 2 years old; no recollection of him).  Imagine my delight when last December when my travelling a few hours with my eldest brother, who'd come home visiting, he told me things about my dad I was hearing for the first time.  I would have liked him... a lot.  He also told me about the original members of my paternal forebears who first came to Jamaica.

An amazing discovery I made was that I began to understand and appreciate myself a bit better.  The state of being lost is to find yourself at a place and having no idea how you got there, but more so having no idea how to get "home."  Genealogy/history provides a map that tells us where we are, and shows how we got there.  It gives us context and helps to define the person and the purpose.

A complete genealogy should really take us back to Eden; to the spot where God formed man out of the dust of the earth and breathed into his nostrils the breath of life.

The story of the Prodigal son (Luke 15) is most instructive.  While in the pigs' sty he made an important declaration, "how many hired servants hath MY FATHER."  His decision following the declaration was, "I will arise and go to my father; I will go home." (adapted).


I must admit that there is a big gap between my present and my very beginning, but thank God for His Grace; Jesus has bridged the gap.  He has provided a way for me to be "born again" so I don't have to know every detail about my biological family tree; I only have to know Jesus, "the way, the truth, and the life." John 14: 6.  Jesus is the way "Home."

To read or listen to 1 Chronicles 2 and read other related blogs click here.

No comments:

Post a Comment