Translate

Monday 20 January 2014

Concentrated Detergent... Toy Store

(This reading is based on Proverbs 15 and is read in accordance with the Revived by His Word initiative of the General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists Church.)
This chapter is like purchasing concentrated dish-washing liquid that you would retail into another bottle and dilute with water - so one spurt is converted into... five or more. Each verse is so loaded. And whereas we are often inclined to pick a favourite verse in a chapter, every verse in this one seems to be jumping out at me. I literally feel like a child that is taken to a major toy store and is told to choose a toy. What do I choose?
I could go for the most familiar. That would be verse 1, "A soft answer turneth away wrath...." This is a verse about quelling strife, and not having oneself dragged into the dregs of degraded diatribe.
But then I could go for the most paradoxical (to me). That would be verse 2 where "the wise uses knowledge rightly;" suggesting that the foolish may have good knowledge, but makes an improper use of it. We shouldn't be misled by the fact that a persons displays knowledge of a subject, because wisdom is an application of knowledge with understanding.
 
As I continue down the aisle, verse 3 would appeal to me for the assurance that I'm always on God's radar; He's looking at me. Mind you, that's no fun when I sin, except that when I want to change or I'm in trouble and I cry out for help, He will see and hear me right away. As one who sings in Church regularly I've often experienced the frustration of a distracted sound technician who's not seeing that I need the music to be a tad loader, or to take it down a notch. I'm glad that, "The eyes of the Lord are in every place."
There's a whole lot more left to be explored and discover in this chapter. So many choices! Hope you'll have as much blessing in your continued search. Blessings.

To read and/or listen to Proverbs 15 and to read other related blogs, please click here.

Photo: http://www.simpsoncrazy.com/news/toy-fair-2003-new-york-huge-update-and-pictures

No comments:

Post a Comment