Translate

Monday 27 January 2014

"Good Song: Wrong Crowd"

(This reading is based on Proverbs 23 and is read in accordance with the Revived by His Word initiative of Seventh-day Adventists.)
 "Do not speak in the hearing of a fool, for he will despise the wisdom of your words." Prov. 23: 9
Years ago when I worked in the hotel industry I participated in a staff end of year get-together where we had a talent parade. With the encouragement of a coworker I entered the face off. What a mistake that was; I was virtually booed of the stage. Drenched in regret and embarrassment, my boss sought to reassure me as we made our way home later that evening. "Good song; wrong crowd," he said. He then went on to describing the demographics of the masses of the persons present, and that by virtue of their background it would be difficult for them to appreciate the genre of music I brought to the stage. I understood what he meant and was soon consoled.
So as one who occasionally ministers in music for worship services, I'm now particularly wary of concert scenes, where I fear that the mindset of patrons are more for the entertainment than the ministry of the Word in music. I'm never one to entertain; I always seek to minister. Also, I only minister songs that mean something to me. Accordingly, I abhor the very thought of sharing a song that would fail to bear the impact it has the potential to have on its listeners.
Incidentally, I've also learned from my own family (half of whom belong to another denomination) to be mindful of when and how to speak of the things that mean much to me; how and when to speak of my thoughts of and experience with God. It seems we have reasoned/argued beyond the point of usefulness, where now I mainly just pray for them as far as religious matters go.
I remember sitting in a church service one Sabbath, where the California Baptist University Orchestra and Choir participated in the service. The music was especially rich that Sabbath. And as I sat and soaked it all up, the tears just flowed as I was transported to Heaven. But at just about the time that that was happening to me we were asked to exchange thoughts with someone close to us. The brother who stood beside during the service was similarly impacted as I was (his eyes were teary too). He said one word that fully captured my mental frame at that point, "Heavenly." I couldn't have agreed more. What a relief it was to not have needed to feel "cute" about my tears; for they were fully understood. "Do not speak in the hearing of a fool, for he will despise the wisdom of your words." Thank God for those with whom to share our love for Him.

To read and/or listen to Proverbs 23 and to read other related blogs, please click here.

No comments:

Post a Comment