(This reading is based on Proverbs 2 and is read in accordance with the Revived by His Word initiative of the General Conference of SDAs.)
I agree with your suggestion Jackie Smith that wisdom is an acquired acumen that is attained through a process. According to the passage there are some key actions that will lead to the acquisition of wisdom.
1. Receive "God's" word (verse 1)
2. Treasure "God's" commandments (verse 1)
3. Incline the ear to wisdom (verse 2)
4. Apply the heart to understanding (verse 2)
5. Cry for discernment/knowledge (verse 3)
6. Lift up the voice for understanding (verse 3)
7. Seek/Search for wisdom as for silver/hidden treasure (verse 4)
Then you will:
"Then you will understand the fear of the Lord, and find the knowledge of God," (verse 5).
So although a gift from God, wisdom does not occur without the active engagement of our faculties. Please help us Lord.
To read and/or listen to Proverbs 2 and to read other related blogs, pleaseclick here.