Translate

Monday 4 November 2013

Nevertheless...

(This reading is based on Psalm 89, read in accordance with the Revived by His Word initiative of the General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists)

"Nevertheless My lovingkindness I will not utterly take from him, nor allow My faithfulness to fail." Ps. 89: 33
If you have ever stood guilty before a parent, a school principal, a committee, your boss, a judge then you probably can appreciate the value of a word such as "Nevertheless...." (Ps. 89: 33). It may not have been that word in particular, but a synonym of it (however, notwithstanding, but, although...) that provided a pivot on which the scale of justice was miraculously swung in the direction of mercy. And how spontaneously then were the words of verse 1 apt to flow from our lips: "I will sing of the mercies of the Lord forever...."
                                            http://thetrosastory.files.wordpress.com/2011/11/justice-mercy-scale1.jpg
Psalm 89 is a chapter that is rife with hope - even when it is that we face God's judgement. Verse 33 is the point where a clause is provided that whereas we're guilty and worthy of punishment, God's mercy and lovingkindness raise an objection, and secures a favourable ruling in our behalf.
Today I gladly add my voice to the litany of praise being ascended to God for all his marvellous works among the children of men. Truly I can say, "Without Him I could do nothing, without Him I'd surely fail, without Him I would be drifting, like a ship without a sail...." All praise and honour be to You, Lord God almighty!
To read and/or listen to Psalm 89 and to read other related blogs, please click here.

No comments:

Post a Comment