Translate

Thursday 7 November 2013

Wow... Deep!

(This reading is based on Psalm 92, read in accordance with the Revived by His Word initiative of the General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists.)

"O Lord, how great are Your works! Your thoughts are very deep." Ps 92: 5

Daily at work Ketisha walks into my office and empties my bin into a big garbage bag she walks around with through the building as she does her daily cleaning. In addition to the garbage bag, she walks with a smile too. Her greetings are heart-warming. "Good morning!" she'll say. "Good morning," I'll respond. But as quickly as she is in, she is out. As I reflected on how pleasant she is and the joy she radiates as she goes about her work I thought one day to reassure her, "You're not measured by what you do you know." That was like he right side of my brain talking. So the 'left' side retorted, "Oh but she is."  "Huh?" The right side became puzzled, so the left expanded:



You see Ketisha is a student worker, who is in the Medical Technology programme. Her long-term goal is to become a medical doctor. What she does now are but stepping stones to a grand vision. So when I look at her I don't see poverty as I see purpose; I don't see a victim, as I see a visionary. If ever I am privileged to share anything with her it's not me giving, as it is me investing. Who knows, maybe one day I'll end up in an emergency room... and who'll be the doctor on duty... Ketisha! Is she to be measured by what she's doing (cleaning my office)? A thousand times yes!

As I read this Psalm, and especially verse five, it reminds me of the passage that says, "For the invisible things of him from the creation of the world are clearly seen, being understood by the things that are made, even his eternal power and Godhead."  God IS measured by what He does, because what He does is a reflection of who He is; an insight into the heart and mind of an awesome Creator, Provider, Sustainer, Redeemer, Guide and Friend.  So the Psalmist in reflecting on the works of God confidently concludes, "Your thoughts (mind) are deep.

To read and/or listen to Psalm 92 and to read other related blogs please click here.

No comments:

Post a Comment