Translate

Friday 15 November 2013

No Favours... No Requests... Just Praise!

(This reading is based on Psalm 100, and is read in accordance with the Revived by His Word initiative of the General Conference of Seventh-Day Adventists.)

"Make a joyful noise unto the Lord, all ye lands!" Psalm 100: 1

How much effort does it take to come to God with only praise on our lips; no favours asked, no requests made, just praise given?  Here's a fairly popular line (at least in essence), "We pray that you accept our worship and our praise today, because You have been an awesome God to us."  Although laced with praise, this is a request.  The truth is, requests are hard to avoid.

                         1 a spirit praises.JPG

But Psalm 100 makes it look easy.  From start to finish it is pure, unadulterated praise.  There are no complaints, no cries for justice, no protests against inequity.  All the Psalmist cares about is that, "the Lord is good; His mercy is everlasting, and His truth endures to all generations."

The chorus of one of my favourite songs, "Calvary's the Reason Why," is really a prayer that I'd like to share:
Sometimes I just want to praise You
Sometimes, just to speak Your name
Sometimes, I just want to thank You
Without asking You, for a thing
Sometimes I lift my hands to You
Sometimes all I do is cry
Everything that I have, I owe to You
Lord, and Calvary's the reason why

To read and/or listen to Psalm 100 and to read other related blogs, please click here.

No comments:

Post a Comment