Translate

Monday 16 December 2013

Contentment: Being Resolved

(This reading is based on Psalm 131 and is read in accordance with the Revived by His Word initiative of the General Conference of SDAs)

"Like a weaned child is my soul within me." Ps 131: 2

If I were to caption this passage it would very likely be, Contentment. A child that is weaned is one who no longer desires it mother's milk, but is contented to move onto to other stuff

To be in this place is to reach the point beyond which you require any great, or profound explanation to accept the reality of God, or to require any justification of how you can directly benefit from the struggles in your lives. Being in this place is being like:

Abraham being willing to offer up his only son of promise without questioning, "Why?"

Joseph not using the occasion of being seemingly abandoned by God, and not being under the scrutiny of those he knew or who knew him to indulge in inappropriate living.
Gethsemane

Job being resolved to saying, "Though He slay me yet will I trust Him." Job 13: 15

David though having opportunity to kill his enemy left things to God but was resolved to not stretching his hand "against the Lord's anointed." 1 Sam 26: 11

Paul declaring, "for I have learned, in whatsoever state I am, therewith to be content." Phil 4: 11

Jesus who was resolved to making the ultimate sacrifice of Himself to secure our salvation, "Nevertheless, not as I will, but as Thou wilt." Matt. 26: 39.

Oh for the resolve to be and do just what You want of me 
To be like Jesus, Joseph, and Paul,this is my earnest plea
See Abraham, though the father of faith, was never always so
But like Joseph he learned that God was with him withersoever he would go
And Job, though losing all but his life was faced with a circumstance most grim
Declared to his wife and accusing friends, "Though slain, I'll keep trusting Him"
Mighty man of war, after God's own heart, never fought his battles alone
David never lifted a finger to fight in defense of his earthly throne
Paul, though brilliant and of glowing prospects, knew well what humility meant
He learned, in whatever state he was, therewith to be content
Then Jesus, the Master of them all, hung on a cross, and not for His own guilt
See, earlier He prayed, "Father not my will, but only as thou wilt."
So help me today to be willing dear Lord to be and do what You want of me
To be like Jesus, Joseph and Paul, this is my earnest plea

To read and/or listen to Psalm 131 and to read other related blogs, please click here

No comments:

Post a Comment