Translate

Tuesday 31 December 2013

Who But My Heavenly Father

(This reading is based on Psalm 146 and is read in accordance with the Revived by His Word initiative of the General Conference of SDAs.)

My biological father died when I was 2 years old. He was survived by a wife who had neither an immediately employable skill nor profession, and eight children - the oldest of which was 14 years. We all by and large grew up together, were never left by our mother, never went to bed hungry (not certain about my mother who for many years suffered from an ulcer in the stomach). After about a decade my mother remarried (to a farmer, so food was always in the house). Although it wasn't exactly paradise, at least my mother did not get ill as often as she used to. So often when we were young we thought she was dying. But God was always there.
So after two husbands my mother now stays with one of my sisters, who lost her husband a few years ago. Things are generally much better now for all of us. And tracing my growing up years, I've never felt as poor in this world's goods as I in fact was... am. And why should I? "My Father is rich in houses and land." Didn't He say that, "The cattle upon a thousand hills are mine?"
It's never about all the things I have that I may somehow think I own
My life is in my Father's hand, Who sits upon the throne
He gives me what I need each day, with always a little bit more
He hopes I'll learn to be like Him by sharing with three or four
I am His child and His servant too and I strive to do His will
I'll trust Him tomorrow as I did yesterday that He'll be caring still
So I will bless the Lord with all my soul, as long as I shall live
I'll scatter His bounties so all will come with praise and worship to give
O Lord You're worthy to receive our praise and our hearts are filled with love
May Your name be honoured in all the earth as it is in Heaven above
Please come dear Lord and dwell with us, make our hearts Thy sweet abode
We'll lay aside all the burden of sin as we carry Your lighter load
And when our Saviour shall come at last in the clouds from Heaven on high
May it be that we all shall gather round Your throne, yes by and by
To read and/or listen to Psalm 146 and to read other related blogs, please click here.
Photo: http://www.flickr.com/photos/simplyheatherpics/5086353895/sizes/l/

No comments:

Post a Comment