Translate

Friday 13 December 2013

Whew! Reaping What the Thieves Missed

(This reading is based on Psalm 128 and is read in accordance with the Revived by His Word initiative of the General Conference of SDAs.)"When you eat the labor of your hands, you shall be happy, and it shall be well with you."
There are multiple ways to look at this passage.
Protection Against Praedial Larceny
Eating the labour of your hand could be significant from the perspective that you were not cheated/robbed of the fruits of your labour. Praedial larceny is the single most significant factor that threatens to cripple the agriculture industry in our country; many a would-be farmer steers clear of making such investments because of the many horror stories of the carryings-on of criminal elements. But for those who brave it and manage to actually reap the benefits, happy indeed they are - with much thanksgiving and a massive sigh of relief. What is true for farming is true for all other industries - it's a blessing to not be cheated!
My First Crop of Corn
Albeit a bit unhealthy with the gaudy use of margarine, I can still recall the first time I reaped, and ate from a crop of corn I had planted. I was young and excited, and I stuffed myself silly. And although I would do things a bit differently now, my mouth nevertheless salivates at the thought of that special moment. I ate the labour of my hands, and I was happy.
                                                        
Being able to work and afford to address certain personal needs and to also be able to extend a helping hand to others is a tremendous morale building, self-defining experience. Some take it to an excessive level and are smug about it. But being able to earn and to help others is really a humbling experience. After all, to whom much is given, much is expected. We're servants.
The Joy of Seeing Your Children/Mentees Succeed
Similar in principle to the above corn cultivation concept, although of a higher quality, is the joy and satisfaction experienced by parents or mentors who see their children/mentees making wise decisions and reaping the requisite rewards. You get a very distinct sense that this is the satisfaction Jesus will at length experience when the saved are brought home, "He shall see of the travail of his soul, and shall be satisfied." Isa 53: 11.
Lord, more than any other experience do I desire to be among those saved at last; to be among the trophies that Jesus will present to His Father on that great day. I invite You to do what You must in order to make this a reality in my life, I pray in Jesus' name, amen.


  • To read and/or listen to Psalm 128 and to read other related blogs, please click here.

    No comments:

    Post a Comment