Translate

Friday 23 November 2012

For a Baby's Smile (Revived by His Word: Judges 10)



Unfortunately, I think, I'm not a parent.  But I do get the opportunity often enough to interface with babies - of family members and of friends.  And it is often a source of bragging rights when you are the one to cause a baby to stop crying.  If the opposite happens I'm always anxious to pass the baby along to "end my humiliation" of sorts.  I must confess also that there are few things that are more heart-warming than to elicit a smile from a baby.  It just feels good to be a source of comfort and joy for a baby... for anybody for that matter.


My wife is certain that if I were to become a father, especially of a little girl, I'd spoil her rotten.  Well I don't know about that.  What I do know is that it'll be my responsibility to ensure the well-being of my child(ren).  Making children cry isn't a measure of one's effectiveness.  I get the sense from this chapter that this is how our Heavenly Father feels too, "And His soul could no longer endure the misery of Israel. " Verse 16.

And yet, it is "whom the Lord loveth he chasteneth, and scourgeth every son whom he receiveth." Heb. 12:6.  This however only happens when it is absolutely necessary.


LORD, I thank you today for all the sources of discomfort that cause me to look to you from whom my help comes.  May I never stray so far as to become desensitized to your chastening.  Instead, let it be that as your children we all can sing meaningfully, "He puts a light in your eyes, a smile on your lips, and a bubble of joy in your heart...," because that is what you do for us.  In Jesus' name… amen.
To read the full passage and other blogs visit http://revivedbyhisword.org/en/bible/jdg/10/.

No comments:

Post a Comment